I was in the hospital for a good part of the week.
One night I rang the call button, around 10 p.m., to ask if my night meds be given soon.
The nurse came in, invaded my personal space without permission by placing her hand on the top of my story. She then began a tirade about she had a number of patients, and on and on she went. When she left she left me shaking fearing for my safety.
I took the advice on a blog I follow about bullying and put it into action.
1. I out cried to another nurse immediately.
2. Then the charge nurse came in.
3. I then again shared with the charge nurse what had happened.
4. She then revealed that there had been issues with this so called nurse before.
5. The charge nurse then told me her plan concerning my issue.
6. The charge nurse said that the nurse with the issue would not be coming back to my room.
7. The charge nurse would then confront the nurse about my concerns.
In the past I probably would not have done anything. I really did not have the tools, the knowledge on how to claim my space again.
Note, not once did I lower myself to that nurse’s level. I did not demean her to her superior, I did not say I would retaliate.
When all was said and done I felt so much better, my esteem was left intact, maybe, even a bit stronger.
Cherie, of Chateau Cherie your blog and your teaching about bullies, the way to treat them. Those posts really do help, at least for me because I put what I learned to work for me.
Leave a Reply